About Amazon Australia
As you consider expanding your Amazon marketplace globally, a new selling opportunity may lead you to one of Australia’s two FBA warehouses in Melbourne or Perth. In the process, it is possible to run into unexpected document requirements for imports to Australia. The two ways in which you can import goods to Australia are:
- Importing as a foreign entity
- Registering for an Australian Business Number (ABN), along with a Goods and Services Tax (GST) identification number
*** Registering for an ABN through the Australian Government’s Business Registration Service is free.
Obtaining an ABN
An ABN is a unique 11-digit number that identifies your business to the Australian government. An ABN is used to:
- Identify your business on invoices
- Avoid pay-as-you-go (PAYG) on payments you get
- Claim goods and services tax (GST) credits
- Claim energy grant credits
- Get an Australian domain name
You must provide the following documents before importation:
- Commercial Invoice
- Packing List
- Packing Declaration (this identifies whether approved materials have been used for pallets, dunnage, and packaging)
- Certificate of Origin (this indicates whether the goods are made and exported from a country of a Free Trade Agreement/FTA)
*** You must also make sure that any wood packaging, pallet, or product complies with Australia’s wood products and packaging protocol and requirements.
Upon completion of the previous steps, you can proceed with your shipment to Amazon FBA locations in Australia.
To register a shipment with Amazon, follow these steps:
1. On the “Manage Inventory” page on Amazon’s Seller Central portal, select the product you plan on shipping. Put all SKUs you’d like to ship in a single shipment plan- these do not need to broken down according to SKU.
2. In the drop down menu, select “Send / Replenish Inventory”
3. Then select "Create a New Shipping Plan."
4. Enter a “Ship From” address. Normally, this would be the Freight Right warehouse from which your product is to be shipped out. You can find this information while booking with Freight Right.
5. Then, select "Continue to Shipping Plan."
6. Complete the second part of the shipment creation process.