After the Hemp Farming Act of 2018, cannabis was removed from Schedule I of Controlled Substances, making it an ordinary agricultural commodity in all 50 states in the U.S. This has caused a tremendous growth in the cannabis industry, making the CBD market one of the biggest growing businesses. The United States currently allows for the use of CBD products that contain 0.3% THC in their formulation.
Can I send CBD oil in the mail?
Yes. You can ship CBD oil in the mail throughout the U.S., however, there are certain guidelines that must be followed. In order to do so, you must make sure that:
- It contains less than 0.3% THC.
- It has been extracted from hemp, not cannabis.
- Your farm and growing facilities comply with federal guidelines.
Can I send CBD oil through USPS?
Yes. In March of 2019, United States Postal Service published an advisory on mailing hemp-derived CBD products. In addition to these guidelines, USPS requires a series of documentation to be filled out in order to process the shipping order. These are some of the documents:
- A signed self-certification statement: printed on the mailer’s own letterhead, signed by the mailer and must include the following text:
“I certify that all information furnished in this letter supporting documents are accurate, truthful, and complete. I understand that anyone who furnishes false or misleading information or omits information relating to this certification may be subject to criminal and/or civil penalties, including fines or imprisonment.”
*This statement is subject to the False Statements Act.
- The industrial hemp producer holds a government-issues license from the Department of Agriculture for the state where the ‘acceptance unit’ or the destination post office is located.
* This must include documentation that identifies the producer by name and proves that the mailer is authorized by the registered producer to market these products.
- A laboratory report proof that the industrial hemp or the hemp products contain no more than 0.3% of a delta-9 THC concentration.
* You must consider and follow these guidelines in order to make sure that your CBD products reach their final destination safely, without legal complication.
Can I send CBD oil through private couriers?
Yes. Private shipping companies like FedEx, DHL, and UPS ship CBD oil to destinations across the United States. Online sellers still have to follow Federal regulations and restrictions for CBD products. Most importantly, you must make sure that your hemp-derived products are of no more than 0.3% THC concentration.
How can I ship CBD oil in the United States?
Here are a few steps to follow when you’re ready to ship your first CBD oil shipment:
- Make sure that your CBD oil or other hemp-derived products conform to Federal regulations and follow restrictions. (Ex: Maximum of 0.3% THC concentration)
- Regardless of what service you use to ship the product, make sure you’re following the aforementioned USPS shipping standards, to avoid legal complications.
- Provide USPS mandated documentation with your products.
- Pack your products with sufficient space and use appropriate packing materials (peanuts, airbags, bubble wrap, etc.). Use tape to further secure your shipping products.
- Schedule a pickup of your goods.
How can I ship CBD oil?
Shipping CBD oil and related products within the United States is much simpler than shipping internationally, as the process and legalities all depend on the country that the products are being shipped to.
* When shipping CBD oil or hemp-derived products internationally, expect to encounter some complications and regulations.
What countries can I ship my CBD products to?
These are the countries where CBD products are legal:
|Austria||Hong Kong||Republic of Slovenia|
In what countries is CBD forbidden?
CBD products are banned in these countries:
- United Arab Emirates
Australia* - Though CBD products are legal in Australia, it is heavily regulated and only available to a very small number of patients throughout the country. This makes it very difficult to import CBD products into Australia.
What are some CBD regulations or laws I should know about?
CBD regulations and laws vary, depending on the country or union that you’re shipping it to. Here are some of them:
Europe: The general European Union law permits the consumption and use of CBD products, however, certain laws differ upon the country.
Permitted Strength: 0.2% THC
Asia: Asian countries have some of the biggest and strictest regulations of cannabis in the World. (Please refer to the graph)
Latin America: Most Latin American countries have relaxed their laws regarding the legalities and use of cannabinoids.
To successfully and effectively ship and sell CBD oil in various locations around the world, follow local laws and regulations. To further simplify the process, get in touch with one of our experts to help you with your CBD shipping solutions.
|Country||Legal/Illegal||Maximum THC %||Notes|
|Germany||Legal||0.2%||CBD must only be used for medical purposes with a Marijuana Card. Recreational marijuana is illegal.|
|Italy||Legal||0.2% - 0.6%|
Maximum THC content 0.2%
The maximum tolerance level of THC 0.6% (higher strains).
|Bulgaria||Legal||0.2%||The first country in the EU to allow the free sale of hemp-derived CBD.|
|Cyprus||Legal||0.2%||Follows the EU protocol.|
|Czech Republic||Legal||0.3%||Higher than the EU limit of 0.2% THC.|
|Austria||Legal||0.3%||THC can only be used in topical products, cannot be consumed.|
The largest producer of hemp in Europe.
0% THC for personal use items.
0.2% for commercial and industrial purposes.
|Greece||Legal||0.2%||Hemp-derived products are not considered illegal, as they don’t have high amounts of THC.|
|Ireland||Legal||0.2%||Follows Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) and EU regulations.|
CBD products are considered medicine and do not require a prescription.
Extremely regulated and difficult to import CBD products.
Heavily regulated industry.
It is only legal to use and possess CBD only if it is prescribed by a doctor.
|Norway||Legal||0%||It is legal to use and possess CBD only if it is prescribed by a doctor.|
|The Netherlands||Legal||0.2%||Legal in the Netherlands as long as it was produced outside of their country.|
|Canada||Legal||0.3%||Follows the Cannabis Act regulations.|
|South Africa||Legal||0.001%||Allows only 20 milligrams of CBD per day, no more than 0.00075% CBD.|
|Japan||Legal||0%||Cannabis possession can lead to 5-10 years in prison.|
|South Korea||Legal||Unknown||The first country in East Asia to legalize CBD use.|
|Thailand||Legal||0.01% by weight||Currently has a five-year ban on the imports of 99% of pure CBD oil made from cannabis.|
|Brazil||Legal||Unknown||It only allows for the medical use of CBD for Parkinson’s disease, chronic pain, migraine headaches, and epilepsy.|