What is a Fumigation Certificate?


Export and Compliance



Featured Topics

Fumigation Certificate and Heat Treatment Certification

What is a Fumigation Certificate?

Also known as Pest-control Certificate, a Fumigation Certificate is a document that confirms that any wooden packing materials used in cargo shipment have been fumigated. Fumigation requirements are enforced to protect the forests in destination countries from insects that may reside inside of shipping timber or wood.  

What is Fumigation? 

Fumigation is a pesticide treatment using poisonous gases to kill pests inside of wood. 

When is Fumigation required? 

Fumigation is mandatory for wooden products when they are being transported internationally. However, it is not required for wood-derived products, like cardboard, particleboard, and other manmade products. To avoid the need for fumigation, many shippers choose to use plastic packing materials instead of wood.  

Nonetheless, whenever transporting goods like wooden pallets, furniture, or other wooden goods, a Fumigation Certificate is required. The document must contain details such as treatment purposes, fumigants used, the amount of time they were used for, and a temperature range during the fumigation process.

What is Heat Treatment Certification?

Heat Treatment is a process during which lumber is heated in a closed kiln or chamber until it reaches a core temperature of 56°C (133°F) for at least 30 minutes. This is done to kill pathogens such as insects, fungi, and other microorganisms.  

Some countries enforce Heat Treatment certification to meet the import requirements of countries in the European Union (EU). Heat treatment is used to obtain phytosanitary certificates from the USDA Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) for lumber exports to other countries.

   *** When constructed, all pallets require heat or fumigation treatment. Whether heat-treated or fumigated, each pallet will be marked by IPPC, and a treatment certificate will be issued. The American Lumber Association handles the accreditation and marking process in the United States. 




Need more support? If you did not find what you were looking for, contact us for further help!